Thursday, March 23, 2006

Secrets of Getting Your Site Indexed in the Search Engines

I get emails all the time from people whose sites just aren't getting on the search engines. On of them whose site I redid recently was http://www.maxi-dump.com. I usually refer people with questions about how to optimize their website to a page that tells about all the things they need to do to accompish this: http://www.a1aweb.com/improve.htm
The first thing I do is look at their website and view the source code to see if their website developer remembered to put meta tags on each page and then I look to see if these need any improvement. If they don't have meta tags I tell them to have their website developer add them or I can add them for a small fee per page. If you don't have a good meta tags with your title, description especially than the search engines will make up their own title and description for your site based on your content. And this may not be as good as what you would of wanted them to come up with. This is why it is so important to have meta tags, this way you can define exactly what you want the search engines to have come up about your site when someone does a search. The Titles are especially important because keywords in them are looked at very closely by the search engines. So make sure you put your most important keywords first and your company name after that in your title. I would suggest doing the same for your descriptions as well. If you need help with it please visit the page suggested above, read it and then contact me. Thanks, Ann Menke

No comments: